David Horvitz always
I got the below missive from said Mr. Horvitz this evening. Do with this information what you will – keep in mind that knowledge such as this, should it fall into the wrong hands, could mean the end of Western Civilization as we know it.
And where the hell would we be without Western Civ?
Cut and pasted from gmail:
David Horvitz to me
sent this to your old email.
Hi All –
I hope you are all well. I am writing from New York. It is getting very hot. I just got back from doing a project in Vancouver (here is a piece from Vancouver, look very closely at the photograph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytisus_scoparius).
The five of you who I am emailing have purchased the New Museum opening outfit edition from last Autumn. I have decided to make this an ongoing series. If you don’t already know, I have been nominated by Chris Boot of Aperture for the prize at the Arles photo festival this July in Arles, France. There are 15 people total nominated, mostly people with a strict Photography practice. (The festival’s site is here: http://www.rencontres-arles.com ). I have decided to do my next outfit work for for this exhibition. Unlike the New Museum opening, this opening will be over the course of a week, in the beginning of July. There will be many parties, events, dinners, etc…
For the original piece, I only told Christian Schwarm about the piece. Every one of you found out about the piece through him in some way.
For this edition, I am telling the five of you about this (and only you). You all have the power to further distribute information about this work, or not… You five are the potential outlets in which this information must pass through to get out into the world.
The details of this work are:
– all money made from sales will be used towards purchasing my outfit for the events in Arles, France in July
– you will receive documentation of the purchases in the form of photocopied receipts, photographs, and other materials
– you will receive photographic prints of the “performance” (the wearing of the outfit at the opening)
– throughout the Festival, you will receive photograph snap-shots via e-mail
– you will receive copies of any press related material that I find myself in (blog posts, articles, etc…)
– you will receive a signed + numbered statement
– the price of the edition is $100 USD
– it will be sold until the beginning of July (I will delete the site when this time is up)
– the amount of people who purchase the piece defines the edition size (if 2 people buy it, it is an edition of 2, and the outfit is quite simple. if 30 people buy it, it is an edition of 30, and the outfit is more extravagant).
This is a new part of the project:
All information regarding this piece must come from you (whether you forward this email with my text, re-post it, re-write it, etc…). The web-site that contains the Paypal button contains no text at all. Information must circulate by a kind of “word of mouth.”
Here is the site:
NOTE: THIS IS NOT TO PRESSURE ANY OF YOU TO PURCHASE THIS PIECE, OR PARTICIPATE. IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THIS, THAT IS completely fine. I am a little concerned that you may feel obligated to purchase this because I am only emailing a small amount of people. If you are not interested, don’t worry!
– David Horvitz
P.S. Are you familiar with Van Gogh’s postmaster paintings? See the attached image. The postmaster is from Arles. How wonderful!
AND FOR GOOD MEASURE I’M THROWING IN TWO THREE RECENT VIDEO EXTRAVAGANZAS BY YOURS TRULY. ENJOY. (Please.)
Come on, watch them – none is more than a minute!!! And all are more fun than is necessary. ;~]